Welcome to the Show!

Welcome to the Show!
This is the story of my life.
It isn't much, but it is mine. It can be a zoo.

Please keep your hands and feet tucked in at all times.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Adventures in Hospital Stays


I’m back! Did you miss me? I felt bad about missing our weekly date, but sadly my body decided to wage a war with itself. According to what my doctors think, my gallbladder launched a gall stone through a bile duct towards my pancreas. Apparently my pancreas decided to throw a temper tantrum that even Kanye West couldn’t pull off, and I found myself diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. Just yesterday I was released from the hospital, and warning upon warning was given to make sure my diet was very low fat, and to make sure no alcohol passed my lips. With the removal of all things delicious, I find myself lost in the culinary world. Not to mention my Friday night drinks with my sister now has to be of the teetotaler variety.

Five days in the hospital makes you appreciate things like, not having strangers pop into your room at 3am while you are in a morphine stupor trying to take your “vitals”. I think I even scared one guy by asking him if he had a brother named Michael. Poor fella. I don’t have a clue why I asked. I was on morphine, and it was 3 am! He never came to my room again. Sorry Kevin, the nurse’s aide. Didn’t mean to freak you out! But the worst part is repeating your life’s story over and over again. To the point that my brain would check out and just let my mouth do the spiel. Next time I plan on having a statement recorded, and just hit the replay button for each doctor.

But I did lose an additional 13 lbs in the hospital. Score for me! Although, I didn’t have anything to eat or drink for the first 2 days, after that was given jello and apple juice. Apparently IV fluids do a body good. If I were to be readmitted, I will have the distinct displeasure of having my gallbladder removed, and we all know, organ removal does count towards weight loss goals.  It all sounds so light hearted, I know. There are bad parts, trust me on this. The most noticeable is the pain, the severe, white hot poker through your upper left side of your abdomen, strait through your back pain. Also, your family and spouse are worried out of their minds, your animals at home freak out because you aren’t there, and I’m pretty sure the Diet Coke factory held a moment of silence for me.

All in all it was an adventure, that doesn’t seem to be over quite yet. Hopefully this Beebs is on the road to recovery, and soon enough I can get back to a normal that doesn’t include fat free cream of chicken soup and jello for dinner. Thanks for all the well wishes, encouragement, and love over the past few days. I have the best support a girl could ask for. Much love right back at ‘cha!

No comments:

Post a Comment