Welcome to the Show!

Welcome to the Show!
This is the story of my life.
It isn't much, but it is mine. It can be a zoo.

Please keep your hands and feet tucked in at all times.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

What You Know About BBQ and Boat Motors?!

One more day and we are free for a long and lovely weekend! I like extra time off as I am sure everyone else does. Most people travel out of town, go camping, or maybe go to the beach. Almost everyone barbecues, especially if you live here in South Texas. It is tradition, and you just don't mess with it. Some celebrate our troops with parades and yellow ribbons. We do the 'que. This year, I too will be roasting a large chunk of beef on an open flame, but I will be doing it while in a fierce battle of smoke and wood chips. My sister has got me wrapped up in a brisket cooking competition this Saturday.



Now I can make a mean brisket, complete with mom's homemade nosterque sauce. But I prefer to cook it in a roaster while it bathes in beer. In a competition, people that use roasters usually get shot and dumped on the curb. So, armed with my brother in law's baby pit, some choice selections of mesquite, and hopes and prayers that no one finds out my roasting secret, my sister and I will attempt to cook a mouthwatering succulent slab-o-beef complete with picture perfect smoke ring. We are hoping our kitchen smarts, bloodlines of excellent outdoor chefs, and possibly even our good looks and charm will help us produce BBQ magic.

But that just takes care of Saturday. No weekend would be complete without an action packed schedule, but I don't really have one. I'm playing it by ear. I know it is risky business, but you know as long as I have fun, I really don't care. I do feel like cooking something grand in the kitchen. I am not sure what yet, but I assure you, it will be grand. I do have that daunting/exciting landscaping project to start, possibly that will find it's way onto my to do list. But far too often, I am so busy I can't even dryer-iron a t-shirt before I am out the door. I plan to go where the wind takes me this weekend. Even if that is back to bed at 10 am.



I must say that I am so very proud of My Piggly-wiggly. (my nephew Hayden) He graduated kindergarten with flying colors. He is onto first grade, and able to count to 150, and pretty much read anything that is written on a boat motor. I mean, sure he can read other words, but he really excels in boat motors. Yamaha, Evinrude, Mercury... it is uncanny! We have raised a certified redneck genius! He can also recognise several types of game birds, and fish. Genius! Did I mention he is adorible too? I am telling you this kid is awesome!! I am sad to report that in almost two weeks, he will be turning 6. He is growing up entirely too fast for my liking. He can whistle, and is still working on snapping his fingers. His Uncle Beebs and I are already srategizing for a most awesome boat cake. I hope it blows his redneck genius mind. He totally deserves it, because he is my baby, and I say so.

Hayden had a dream... and then it came true!!


I hope you all have a happy fantastic and mostly safe Memorial day weekend. Be thankful of those that are willing to get jipped in pay just to be shot at to defend our freedoms. You wouldn't be reading this if it weren't for thier sacrifices.

No comments:

Post a Comment