Welcome to the Show!

Welcome to the Show!
This is the story of my life.
It isn't much, but it is mine. It can be a zoo.

Please keep your hands and feet tucked in at all times.

Monday, June 18, 2012

A Master's Degree in Beebsology

With less pressure and no tuition!!


Thanks to my sister from another mister, Laura, I did what I always said I would never do I went back to school. I'm taking an online course through corsera.org with Princeton University, learning the introduction to sociology. It's 100% free, and it doesn't count as a college credit, but it is expanding my mind, and that's what counts. Actually, this is my second course I am taking through corsera.org, the first was computer science 101 with Stanford University, where I learned about java script, and coding amongst other things. In fact for the next few months, I have loaded up my schedule to spend at least a few hours every week to "attend" online class, normally during my lunch hours. Next month I start a class on fantasy and science fiction, then in September I have a poetry class, and last but not least, a Greek and Roman mythology class. It's the last one that I am most excited about, because I love that particular subject. It has been fun so far. I enjoy the subject matter. I think it is so cool that I can take these classes, and not worry about grades or performance. I get to learn new things with little pressure. Also, the odd mix of classes picked don't go with any one course of study. If it did, it would be a bachelor degree in Beebsology. 

I'm missing a corn sack somewhere...

I went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago, and my total weight loss was somewhere around 40 pounds. According to my brother in law, that is the equivalent of losing a sack of corn. (That's the redneck way of saying I am doing a good job.)  As excited as I am to be free of the corn sack, I am not so over the moon to realize, that I still have 3 and a 1/2 corn sacks to go before I am into the healthy weight range for my age, which is my ultimate goal.  I do feel the weight loss, but I am no where near ready to throw out my closet in search of smaller items. 40 lbs on someone that is overweight by 40 lbs is an amazing transformation. But on myself, the change is less dramatic. The subtle changes I see, and others notice is most apparent in my face. Yes the belly bulge is smaller, and my thighs are definitely shrinking, but it will take another 40 lbs to really make a difference in my clothing and appearance. I was hoping that some of my fat might run off of my belly and go to where I am lacking. Alas, my pancake butt remains.

You will burn to a crisp before you get wet!!
Water parks and I don't mix well. But I will do anything for Mr. Pigglesworth, and that includes going to a water park this weekend. Not only am I going, but I will be there for several hours, and going on rides with him. Why go at all, you may be asking? Because he wants me to. What's the big deal with water parks you may wonder? Well the picture above is a perfect example of one reason. The lines you endure, in the direct sun, with no shoes on, while creeping and crawling up the stairway, sucks. Plus you have stood in line for 45 minutes to get to the top of a scary slide that takes you 5.4 seconds to rocket down. Once you get down the slide, my second reason for not liking water parks takes place. It's the mother of all water slide wedgies, and there is no possible way you are gonna shake or side step out of it. This is possibly going to take surgical removal, and you have no choice but to dig in there in full public view, and retrieve your suit. There is only so many people in this world that I would go through those tortures for, and my nephew is one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment