Welcome to the Show!

Welcome to the Show!
This is the story of my life.
It isn't much, but it is mine. It can be a zoo.

Please keep your hands and feet tucked in at all times.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Halloween Cat Fight!

In your face!
We live in a typical quiet suburban neighborhood close to a school and a taco stand. We hardly ever hear of crimes and have the usual gossips that roam the streets looking for and sharing info. The one time we have ever had issues, it was with the dude behind us, and we weren't the only ones he had been picking on. One thing I love about my 'hood is that just about everyone participates in Halloween festivities. I have even heard some people tell me that they have moved away, but still come back to trick or treat. I myself, have recruited families to come on over and cruise the candy fest. But I have had a goal for these past few years. I want our home to be known as "The Halloween House". Our yearly display has grown, and become an event itself in our friends and family's circle. We are no longer the only ones that  are vested in this amazingly entertaining and exhausting adventure. We started out with a table. two black lights, and some fake vampire faces. We have evolved to converting every nook and cranny in our garage into the gruesome masterpiece we have today. (Yes, I am tooting my own horn and I have no shame.) But when someone comes up to me in the street to tell me that the new neighbor "loves" Halloween and goes all out too, I am thinking "BRING IT ON".

Yes... Well....
So I backed out of my driveway Monday morning, and noticed that the neighbor who was supposedly "going all out" had set this up. I laughed an evil laugh to myself. Then I called my husband and told him to check it out when he left for work. But now after looking at it for the past few days, I am just offended. I mean honestly. You say you "go all out" and then you bring THIS to the table? I hate to be snobby about it, but I mean really! Your gravestones and strings of pumpkin lights are amateur. This is the stuff of Wal-Mart. strewn about your yard in a disorderly fashion. I am not saying it's because it's from Wal-Mart either, because many of our props come right from the Dollar Tree! I am saying you took it out of it's package and dumped it on the lawn, and called it done. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate anyone who shows enthusiasm for Halloween, and kids love it when houses are decorated. But don't bring "Frankenstein" grave busters to our Gutsy Gus party...

Gutsy Gus isn't finished in this picture, but one step closer.
I learned my lesson. Next time someone says "They go all out", I will be prepared to be underwhelmed. No hard feelings. I am actually excited to have them see our display Halloween night. You don't know that we are the Halloween house until we raise the garage door on October 31st. There are no grave stones or spiderwebs to indicate that just inside our garage door lies a horrifying display of epic proportions. We like to be sneaky like that.

Woo!
Yay! I'm still in my "early" thirties!! Does anyone remember something special about their 22nd birthday? It's not a milestone, so most would say no. but for me, I happen to remember the day before my 22nd birthday quite well. I was sitting outside my friend's shop in my hippy bell-bottomed jeans that were split up the sides in the calf area,  and embellished with brass rings that jingled when I walked. I was smoking a cigarette when this hot rod silver/blue Nissan pulled up. I didn't notice who it was. I chatted with my sister, and went about my business. The guy that had just shown up was leaving pretty shortly after he had arrived. He had stopped by to see a friend of mine and had walked out with him. My friend called my name and introduced me to his friend Steve. I smiled and said hello, and Steve looked back at me with these amazing hazel eyes, and smiled a huge smile at me. My heart skipped a beat or two. In my head I said, "That smile. Wow. Those eyes, beautiful! Holy crap I think I am in love."

It wasn't easy getting here, but it was worth it!
 10 years later, I am still in love with Steve. He doesn't have the hot rod Nissan anymore, and I thankfully don't own those hideous jeans either. Things have changed. It's been so much easier, harder, frustrating, and wonderful. For my 22nd birthday, I met the love of my life, and thankfully he still is. Beebs is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks for the best 10 years of my life Babe. Happy birthday to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment