Welcome to the Show!

Welcome to the Show!
This is the story of my life.
It isn't much, but it is mine. It can be a zoo.

Please keep your hands and feet tucked in at all times.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Addiction: The Internet

I can’t imagine what life would be like without computers or internet. I depend heavily on both for everything, including my job. When the internet at the office is down, I want to throw a temper tantrum. “I CAN’T SERVICE MY CLIENTS! I CAN’T DOWNLOAD FORMS! I CAN’T WATCH CUTE KITTEN VIDEOS!” (Imagine me stomping my feet and throwing things) It really isn’t that bad. You know why? I have internet on my cell phone! I am never without it, except for today of course. I didn’t charge my phone last night, and it is close to dead. I don’t have a charger here at the office. It is official. I am internet free, at least until the IT guy comes and fixes the problem. Till then, I still have a little bit of technology to keep me going. It is like when an ex smoker has a relapse and they go digging into their junk drawers for a very old, very stale cigarette.

The first crusty old piece of technology I can lay my hands on is my computer. How did this go from I can’t live my life without it, to crusty and old? Well it is just an internet delivery device. I am not like my husband. Uber graphics mean very little to me. Fast processors and such are cool, but can I watch You Tube? Does the version of Firefox or Windows explorer support all the apps and add-ons of Facebook? Can I search for a new chicken recipe faster than it would take to call someone? Can I upload my pictures and have them conveniently printed out anywhere I want in town? I can go on, but I think you get the idea. It is the magical internet that holds what I seek. Not so much the computer it’s self. It is more like a severely upgraded typewriter, especially on a day like today.

Speaking of typewriters, I have one. Yes, really. The entire office has them. Ancient technology! Do I use it? Rarely. I surprised myself by even knowing how to operate the damn thing. I haven’t been in an office with a typewriter since I started in the insurance business. I realized when I came to work here that things were a little behind. Then after my first week here, I uncovered that this office was still working at the slate quarry in Flintstones times. My first order of business was to get our systems upgraded, as well as our printers. I am proud to say that I am the reason we no longer have to take notes with a chisel and hammer. To celebrate, they had a copy paper parade for me down our coffee stained hallway.

I guess my point, if I really have one, is I am addicted to the internet. If I want to know more about quantum mechanics, I just look it up! Have a song that you haven't heard in a while? Google it. Are we more informed than our mothers and fathers were at our age? I think so. Are we better for it? Yes and no. There are times I look at the drivel that people put on websites and wonder what they are thinking. Sometimes the internet is a lifesaver, and others it is a time wasting encyclopedia of garbage. I guess it depends on how you use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment